Cats are Wonderful

I believe that cats are the best pets anyone could ask for. They are smart and affectionate, making them intelligent beings with a personality.  Other pets are nice, too, and each fulfills a different need, but cast are simply dreamy. I love my cat, Bedhead, because of his intelligence, caution, enormous appetite, love, affection, and laziness. While he can be a bother when he is screaming for food, there is nearly nothing better than to hold him in my arms and listen to his calm, content purr.

One reason I find cats wonderful is how affectionate they are. Rubbing their lips on you is them saying “you are mine” and shows how they love you and understand your bond with them. Have you ever been holding your cat, and it suddenly starts digging its claws into you rhythmically? This is called kneading. Kneading shows pure contentedness, and while is may hurt, take it as a compliment. If you have a cat that lives outdoors, you may notice that it leaves deceased small animals lying around, or even drop one at your feet. Even these small ‘gifts’ are brought to you out of love. Every time your cat brings you a dead bird or rodent, they are showing you their hard work and seem to say, “aren’t you proud of me?” Cats’ soft fur, rumbling purr, and crazy flexibility (a cat’s spine has extra rotation and elastic cushioning on the spine’s disk, making them more flexible than most animals) make them the ultimate teddy bears which lets you express your love for them when you snuggle them in your arms.

Another reason I think cats are great is their intelligence. Cats are extremely smart, which is one reason they are such excellent hunters, and also makes their companionship more believable. When I take my cat for walks in my backyard trails, he often takes shortcuts. When he does this, he makes careful calculations and plans precisely when and where he wants to meet up with me. I will walk down my trails and suddenly stumble upon him, with a smug look on his face, knowing that I would come there and that he would be there to meet me. Another outcome of cats’ intelligence is that they are cautious. They have incredible instincts. In order to befriend a cat, you must earn its trust, Cats won’t suddenly decide to trust you; you must prove to them that you care for them before they will decide you worthy of their friendship.

Yet other pets can be enjoyable, as well. Dogs, the second most popular pet in Canada, are loyal to a fault, and you can be sure that they will always support you. Hamsters, guinea pigs, and other small mammals are tiny enough to be held in your hand or keep in a pocket, which makes them incredibly adorable. Some pets, like fish, are nice for a simple companionship, too, if all you want is another living presence nearby. Others, such as parrots and other tropical birds, can add some change to your day with squawks and a few English words. Some people who want robust or loyal pet might not want a cat, because cats, unlike dogs, want you to please them, not the other way around.

However, I believe cats are the best. Each feline has its own voice and its own personality. They beat all for being the cuddliest. They are very smart, and if you treat them right, you will receive from them a quality companionship that lasts a lifetime.

REFERENCES

Works Cited

Inn, The Cats. Why Are Cats So Flexible?: The Cats Inn. 15 Jan. 2019, www.catsinn.com/why-are-cats-so-flexible/.

“Facts about Pet Ownership in Canada.” PetBacker Blog, 1 Jan. 1967, www.petbacker.com/blog/facts/facts-about-pet-ownership-in-canada.

Newman, Aline Alexander, and Gary Weitzman. How to Speak Cat: a Guide to Decoding Cat Language. Collins, an Imprint of HarperCollins Publishers, 2018.

If you are interested in learning more about cats, CLICK HERE.

Feel free to comment. Thank you for reading!

Susan