Stuffies

Hello! Today I’m going to blog about stuffies. However, not just the plush toy, but the word itself. Lately, I have been thinking about how weird the English language is. We have over 10 synonyms for happy. Also, why is vomit called vomit, puke, and sick? They all mean the same thing, and unlike happy, there aren’t any variations of sick. One reason we have so many words for happy is that they describe different levels of happy (content, joyful, elated). But vomit does not have variations. It means the same thing, so why are there so many ways to say it? It’s the same with couch and sofa. Another thing I find weird is that we have slangs that make no sense whatsoever, like ‘awesomesauce!’ Why is sauce awesome? Couldn’t we just say ‘great’? Many of our words also change over time, like gayGay used to mean happy or blissful. Now it means transgender. Sick used to be slang for stupid or bad, but now it means cool or radical (do you even know what rad means? It’s the long [proper] version of rad.). To francophones (people who speak French), everything we say is backwards. An example is ‘Harrison’s wife’ seems perfectly fine, but in French it would be , ‘la femme de Harrison,’ which is ‘thee wife of Harrison.’ We also give inanimate objects possession: the chair’s legs.

Anyway, ‘stuffy’ is one of those weird English things. One definition of stuffy is a plush toy, like a teddy bear. They are called stuffies because they are filled with polyester fiberfill, giving them a cozy cushioning.

However, stuffy also means congested. If you have a head cold and your nose is plugged up wiith mucus, you have a stuffy nose.

Stuffy means hot or muggy, as well. If it’s a hot summer day and your air conditioner is not working, your house probably feels stuffy.

I find it really weird that ‘stuffy’ can mean three things that are entirely different. English is so weird … one of the reeasons I enjoy learning French is because it is so different and really opens my mind.

If you would like start Duolingo yourself, CLICK HERE.

Feel free to comment. Thank you for reading!

Susan