Chinese Translations

Hello! Today I am going to be blogging about Chinese translations. I am no expert on Chinese, and find it difficult to discern from  Japanese, and I suppose I can’t expect any better of Chinese with English. However, I can’t help chortling when I see some of the translations.

My family uses Amazon a great deal. We signed up for monthly things like shampoo and toilet paper. We often order little things like false nails and pot holders from there, and some are from small brands, many of them Chinese. For example, we ordered snaps for sewing, and the instructions were a bit confusing at some points:

The instructions are a bit blurry, so I will type them out:

1. Ready buttons
  2. Perforated, put the female button
  3. After the female button is placed
  4. Press with a slightly larger force
  5. Female button part completed
  6. Perforated, put the male button
  7. After the male button is placed
  8. Press with a slightly larger force
  9. Male button part completed
  10. Accomplish

Due to the ‘slightly larger force’ part, I had thought you needed to press the perforating part in order to get it through the material, and ended up squashing its tip. It also goes a little bit into Family Life, unintendedly. I am not making fun of the workers at Suntatop, but merely amused by the translation. I suppose in Chinese ‘male’ and ‘female’ are also used to discern objects. I would also like to mention that these snaps work very well and are easy to use!

I just find translations sort of amusing. Language is fascinating, and I can’t believe how complex and individual some languages have become. If I tried to write Spanish or French, even though they, like English, stem from Latin, I bet I would make many mistakes.

If you would like to order these snaps, CLICK HERE.

Feel free to comment. Thank you for reading!

Susan